Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cutting the Crap at Work


In an effort to be more efficient around here, upper management has decided that we need to cut out as many afternoon meetings as possible.  This, they say, will allow project teams to work uninterrupted through the afternoon, and hopefully they will be more productive.  I say HUZZAH to this new cutting-of-the-meetings edict.  After all, Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings… They did it by killing all those who opposed them.  Just sayin’…

So that made me contemplate how I can cut the crap at work.  I probably shouldn’t be looking at Facebook or writing for my blog… Those two are givens.  But I think I can actually make a difference by really sharpening my meeting agendas and making sure only the necessary people attend.   I also think I can be more efficient in my email writing strategies.  I need to make them information dense.  I can do that.  I think.  I’m sure there are a TON of other ways to make things better.  I’m going to look into that more. 

Last year I started reading a book entitled Managing Workplace Chaos by Patricia Hutchings.  It’s a pretty good book that advocated the idea of speed reading to get the info we need.  I think I need to pick up this book again and re-read it.  Do any of you have good reading suggestions?  Or ideas?  Tricks? Tips?  Anything on cutting the crap at work to become more productive?  Talk to me!


2 comments:

  1. Meetings can be so effective if properly run, but more times than not, they are just opportunities for face-time and socializing. Sigh.

    Good morning, Amy.

    So I got this award. Crazy people give it to other crazy people to increase traffic. I know have to give it to so-many other bloggers. It's actually like a friggin' chain letter, now that I think about it. But, if you would like it, you may have it: The Stylish Blogger Award. [Sound the trumpets.]

    "I would like to bestow upon you the Stylish Blogger Award which you can pick up here. All of the directions are available in that post, just beneath the image. Click on the award image, save it to your hard drive and upload it to your post."

    Since your blog is actually stylish, please do not feel obligated to clutter your page with this. Even though I try to attract crazy people / hoarders with all kinds of shiny things on my blog, even I created a drawer to tuck these well-intended things away into. But I'm cleaning house, so that may go soon, too.

    So I think you're "stylish" and I tune into every new post you write (yay!), and I have no expectation of your actually nestling this into your html (whew!).

    Blog-Karma caught up? Check.

    Have a wonderful week, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this, Sidney! :) I'll add it.

    ReplyDelete