Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fewer people see college as good financial investment

Fewer people see college as good financial investment

Really?  I think college is an awesome investment.

If you can afford it.

In this day and age, college tuition prices are rising at a seeming exponential rate.  For-profit institutions offer flexible class schedules at a premium... and then unscrupulous lenders swoop in offering unsubsidized money (AKA LOANS) to pay for said flexible schedules... and then students are in debt faster than they can blink an eye.  Tens of thousands of dollars later (and in some cases, this reaches into six figures) these students have a degree and then a HUGE loan payment.

But prices at the non-profits are also going up.  Books are ridiculous.  On-campus housing isn't as cost-efficient as it used to be.

And then you have the glut in the market.  Every summer recent college grads flood the market hoping to find a job.  In fact, I think many of them unrealistically expect to get six figure incomes as soon as they're handed their degrees.  They quickly realize that all those loans have to get paid somehow and so they take what they can get.  I don't know how to fix this.  It's just an observation.  

Still, most employers want to see that you have a degree in SOMETHING.  I think a lot of employers want education AND experience.  So what are we to do?  Whatever we can.  Get experience because that is less expensive but also get an education at the same time.  I guess.

I say all of this and I had a full scholarship for ALL FOUR YEARS of my undergrad education.  I busted my butt, though.  I had to keep my GPA above a 3.5.  I think there should be more scholarships from the private sector.  More corporations should offer internships so people can get valuable experience.  I also think there should be more work-study programs to help students work off what they owe.

Education.  This is a passion of mine and has been since I can remember.  Our society seems to value it to a certain extent because employers like to see a college degree on a resume.  Yet, we don't value it enough.  If we did, there would be more options for people to gain an education/trade/career.  Right?

*SIGH*

I have no idea how this should be fixed.  I'm just venting.

3 comments:

  1. It is good to vent. And your comments are all valid. I think that most employers look at the degree as something that is expected these days, and experience as something of a bonus. I know you feel that the military is not great, but I think it is a great way to get both of these valuable traits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More and more I'm seeing the military as a better than average option. Not only do you get training while you're in, but you get money for college after. Can't beat that. I knew several ACCO techs who went that route. They made pretty decent money, too.

    I just hope those education benefits aren't something our government decides it can slash just like VA benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as an update, I've learned that the the G.I. Bill only covers 6 credits per semester/quarter! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? The military is not the option it once was.

    ReplyDelete