Monday, August 29, 2011

School superintendent gives up $800k in pay - Yahoo! News

School superintendent gives up $800k in pay - Yahoo! News

We need more superintendents like this one!!! Talk about cutting the crap!

Why can't more people who already have all they need give back to their communities like this?  It doesn't have to be to the degree that this man goes... it could be volunteer work (time is money!), or donations of unused books, something... ANYTHING!!!

I don't have any extra $$ to perhaps fund another teacher or aide at my daughter's school, BUT I do have time.  I have a WONDERFUL job that allows me to be flexible, and today I was able to help out with a field trip.  Last week I volunteered in her classroom by helping grade papers and do math assessments.  I'm doing this not only because I want to show Megan how important her education is to me, but because - as I chronicled earlier in the year - her elementary finally had to let go of its teacher's aides.  If more parents who are able to volunteer would actually DO so, then our state/local/district budget woes wouldn't seem as terrible. 

There are plenty of ways to help.  If you're a photographer, what about donating some time for the school year book?  If you have a medical background, what about teaching a class on anatomy or the benefits of a healthy lifestyle? If you do international business, what about sharing what it's like to travel to distant locales and be immersed in different cultures?  I have a teaching background so I help with all those teaching tasks as best I can.  Even though I'm a project manager these days, I use what I know to help.  I encourage you to do the same!!! 

GIVE BACK to your communities by helping in the schools!  Our nation's children desperately need us!

No comments:

Post a Comment