Wednesday, August 15, 2012

How to Destroy Your Productivity @ Work



Well here’s something I needed to read!  I’d like to point out that I was “working” when I read this article.  I do that.  Between tasks I “cleanse the palate” so to speak with news stories and quick looks at Facebook.  Actually, I should be moving on to my next task.  I might actually get more accomplished during the day. 

This article listed 7 ways to destroy your productivity at work. 
1.      Check your email every two minutes
2.      Keep your desk cluttered
3.      Be as un-ergonomical as possible
4.      Make sure to multitask
5.      Notify the hell out of your life
6.      Allow others to bug you
7.      Create an impossibly long to-do list

Guilty as charged on all 7 counts.  Which is my biggest offense, you ask?  #7.  So after I read this article I literally purged my to-do list.  I had SOOOO many overdue items that nearly 75% of my list was RED.  After cutting that crap, you know what?  I feel BETTER.  I’m not kidding!!!  Now my pledge is to keep that to-do list at a reasonable level. 

I think multitasking is over-rated, but I get caught in that trap on a daily basis. From now on I’m going to focus on one thing at a time and get each one done in a timely manner.  I have alerts set up for everything.  I’ll delete 50% of those after the writing of this blog post.  I check my email all the time. That I can’t help.  I depend on email at work.  Checking that regularly is kind of a no-brainer.

And then I cleanse my palate. 

Yeah. 

Let’s get back to that.

I read articles like this one, and I check Facebook.  Truth be told, I check Facebook more frequently than I do email.  Starting today, that’s going to change.  No longer will I be a slave to this Book of Face.  I’m taking back my productivity, Mr. Zuckerberg! 

I WILL complete the items on my to-do list!     

No comments:

Post a Comment