Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sad News

So we got some sad news this past weekend.  My mother-in-law passed away.  She was an old school hippie with some very strong opinions on things.  She and my hubby didn't exactly get along, but she was his mother after all.  For her memorial next week we'll be keeping it as simple and light-hearted as possible.  I understand she would have wanted it that way. 

The loss of a loved one always makes you ponder what you're doing with your own life.  It's no different with me.  I keep thinking to myself, "How do I want to be remembered?"  Mostly, I think of my children and what they'll think of me when I'm gone.  Will they have fond memories?  Because I want the answer to that question to be a resounding YES, I think I need to do some adjusting.  I work a little too much at times.  I definitely bring it home with me... and all that entails.  I think some serious re-adjusting needs to happen.  I WILL make that happen.  I need to play with them more.  Be more patient.  Be quick to forgive and forget.  And really, it shouldn't matter if their rooms are messy, should it?

With that, I challenge all of you to live your life in such a way that the people you leave behind will really miss you... will remember many wonderful things about you... and will tell stories to their children about the crazy-wonderful-happy things you did.  When it comes to that, there's no crap to cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment