Friday, February 4, 2011

Food Rules... READ IT!

Sorry for the delay in entries here.  Not only were we swallowed by all things Christmas, but January has been The Month of Sick.  I would seriously like to cut that crap out.  We've been in a vicious cycle of sharing that simply HAS TO STOP.  We even had to take X to the ER-- turns out he has RSV, a double ear infection, AND he's cutting two molars.

Needless to say, I'm exhausted.

Now for my cut the crap stuff.  For those of you who don't know, I work for Pearson (specifically eCollege).  Pearson is literally one of the biggest publishers on the planet (heard of Penguin, Anyone?).  As a company, we try to strive for excellence in every area, and this year we're promoting health on a larger scale than before.  When I say health, I mean the health of every individual.  As a gift, each employee received a copy of “Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual,” by Michael Pollan.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to cut the crap.  It literally breaks through all the mumbo jumbo out there and says - in a nutshell - what I've been promoting in this blog: CUT THE CRAP.  Get rid of the preservative-laden foods and eat what's natural.  

Now that we're already two months into our New Year, I need to get off my butt and practice what I preach.  For starters, my children are eating fruits as snacks.  I have a huge basket on my table that I try to keep filled with bananas, oranges, apples, and anything else I can find.  Second, I'm converting to 100% real juice when quenching our family's thirst.  Drink mixes are usually full of aspartame (which btw causes cancer) and don't taste as good anyway.  We have very little preservative laden foods in our cupboards, but I do have a LOT of canned veggies.  Frozen veggies are quickly filling up our freezers, too.  


With all of that, I think we're off to a good start for our New Year.  Let me know what you all are doing to cut the crap out of your lives! 

2 comments:

  1. Great job! It can be hard to make the changes that you've made so far, I look forward to reading more! Glad you guys got over your illness :)

    ReplyDelete