Friday, March 4, 2011

If you wanted to make your life more simple, what would you cut out?

I posted this question on Yahoo Answers over 8 months ago with the intention of sharing the answers on this blog.  Boy.  Am I behind.  I think it just goes to show you how completely crazy things have been. 

I did get some interesting answers, though, and I wanted to share some of them with you here. The answer that was voted the best by the readers was this: “My very simple answer to this is: I would cut out the wish to make my life more simple”  This man went on to explain that he moved to an island (near Spain in the Mediterranean) and purchased some land with an 800-year-old ruin on it.  He went completely off the grid and enjoyed it.  Then more people moved to the island and things started to get more complicated.  This made him unhappy and caused him to conclude “I can add something else what I would cut out if I could restart my intention for a more simple life: I would cut out the wish to share my life with others.”  I think this is so sad.  I don’t want my life to be so simple that it cuts out interaction with other people.  Reading his response further revealed that he actually did strike an equilibrium.  “Reflecting a bit more about the question, I conclude that it is not what one might *cut out* but what one gains as insights that makes one’s life more easy. As more one comes near to ones *essence* as more simple becomes one’s life, at least this is my experience after long enough struggling and fooling around...”  

By far, this was the most interesting answer I’ve ever received on Yahoo Answers.  It was eye-opening.  Mostly, other people wanted to get rid of material encumbrances that bogged them down.  Others were more esoteric and I think they directed their answers to the WORLD… they said they wanted to get rid of greed, fighting, misunderstandings, etc. 

There were other colorful answers.  Here are a few: 
  • virtue and brains? [REALLY? That one doesn’t make sense] jewels?   my perpetual attitude of suspicion and refusal ?  social non-conformity ?
  • Cut out subconscious desire (be able to better control emotions). For example, it would be easier to get over a past relationship/feelings for someone etc. Life would be so much simpler. [this person must have recently gone through a tough break-up]
  • electricity!!!  That would make my life simpler and happier!!! [I wonder if they had a high energy bill that month]
  • Desire.  Blessings [why on earth would anyone want to get rid of desire? OR BLESSINGS?]
  • My frontal lobe. [maybe that would be a good idea]

So now I’m going to pose the question to you, the readers.  What would you get rid of to make your life more simple? 

3 comments:

  1. I pretty much like my life the way it is even though it may not be simple. I have a loving husband. A wonderful daughter. Three fantastic grandchildren. A sister who loves me in spite of myself. Enough of everything so as not to 'want' for anything. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Aunt Connie, I hear ya. I'm actually pretty content where I am, too. I'm just trying to get rid of that extra junk I don't need. :) I want to make more room in my life for all those little things that matter. :)

    ReplyDelete