Wednesday, March 9, 2011

To write or not to write...

I’m trying to get better about posting on my blog.  It IS, after all, an outlet for me.  I need to write.  It’s like a pressure relief valve.  I started thinking about what this really means to me the other day.  

At work, I’m part of this writer’s group that meets once a week in the break room for a write-in.  On the weeks that I can participate, I’ve noticed a marked improvement in my work performance overall.  I feel better about things.  I respond more quickly to my action items.  I’m slower to anger and angst.  I actually have some clarity by and large.   I think that by writing on a regular basis that I cut certain amounts of stress from my life.  In short, writing is good for me.  

I found an older blog post that pondered the value of daily writing.  It states that in order to get therapy from journal writing, that one must chronicle feelings and emotions.  I’m not sure I agree with that completely.  I seem to be reaping benefits just from blogging and working on my novel.  I share feelings here, but they aren’t in depth.  Even this small exercise is great therapy for me.  I would encourage anyone to take up writing as a form of stress relief.  Even WebMD recommends it.  :) 

What other ways do any of you relieve stress?  Let me know.        

No comments:

Post a Comment