Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Help your local library!

Today's blog topic is something that's near and dear to my heart: public libraries.  I think public libraries are one of the most precious standing contributions Man has made to His Fellow Man.  I've loved going to the library since I can remember, and I haven't stopped as I've gotten older.  Now my children love books almost as much as I do and look forward to picking out their own.  Conveniently, I work right next to the Southglenn Library and can go on a regular basis.  It's fantastic. 

All that being said, I want to talk about donating used books and magazines to your local library.  We all have books and magazines we know we'll never read again, so why not pack them up and donate them?  Chances are that your library will be ever-so-thankful.  Some libraries even offer a tax deductible receipt, so that's added incentive. 

Why is this important?  Well, public libraries have very tight budgets, and those budgets are in danger of getting axed every fiscal year.  Take Aurora, Colorado as an example.  4 of Aurora's 7 libraries were permanently closed in 2010.  FOUR.  This was because the tax paying citizens of Aurora didn't want tax increases to keep libraries open.  Now the remaining libraries (as well as libraries around the country) have to operate on a shoestring budget.  The number of new titles they can purchase every year has been greatly reduced. 

See my logic here?  If you know you're never going to read a book or magazine again, then take it to the library and give back to your community.  You get to cut out some of the clutter in your home, and someone else gets to enjoy that book.  AND the library will get to increase its catalog without spending a dime. 

Oh, and if you can spare the time, volunteer at the library as well.  Pay it forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment