Thursday, June 30, 2011

Spoons.


When I started this blog, I said I would chronicle my family’s journey to simplicity.  I haven’t done much chronicling of my family life lately, so I apologize.  In fact, I’ve been doing some pretty lazy blogging by linking to articles that somehow fit the cut-the-crap bill.  Those are interesting, and I hope you enjoyed them.  Today I’m moving on to something else.

Spoons. 

Yes, you read that correctly.  Spoons.  And frozen yogurt. 

A new frozen yogurt place opened up near us that is pretty fun.  Yo Craze.  It’s an add-your-own-toppings place that has some yummy flavors.  They charge you by the ounce, so if you let your kids go crazy with the toppings, you’ll pay for it.  Anyway, they have these great plastic spoons in a variety of colors.  My daughter loves them. 

When everyone is done with their yogurt, they toss these spoons and the paper bowl in the trash.  The bowl I understand.  But these spoons are actually pretty heavy grade plastic.  To date we’ve saved 4 spoons from the trash.  Not a lot, mind you, but I figured we paid for them.  Why not? 

So this begs the question, why doesn’t Yo Craze recycle these spoons?  I’m not suggesting that they add the overhead of washing all of them and using them over… though, that wouldn’t be a bad idea.  But why don’t they just put a recycling bin next to the trash that says “SPOONS”?  There would be A LOT of spoons that didn’t make it to a landfill this way.  Every little bit counts.      

No comments:

Post a Comment