Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Extreme Couponing... Should I do it?

I can't decide if Extreme Couponing is a way to cut the crap or if it would actually complicate things. I could save money, yes, but I don't really want to drive all over town to get a few good deals. AND I don't think buying stuff I don't use is a good idea. I mean, really? That just doesn't seem sane to me. So I decided to do a little research on extreme couponing.

Here's what I found:

  • I learned there is a show on TLC called Extreme Couponing. Who knew? Since I cut cable, I hadn't heard of this show. There are people on there who border on the insane, I think. They hoard. I'm not kidding. People actually dumpster dive for coupons. Yes, you read that correctly. And they go NUTS on things they don't need. WHERE oh WHERE do they store all this stuff?
  • This college student is trying to help her parents save money. Can someone please tell me WHY she bought so much baby formula if she doesn't need it? I'm happy that she donated the formula to Joplin tornado relief, but just where does one store 30 containers of baby formula? Or 288 rolls of toliet paper? Yes, she slashed her family's monthly grocery bill from $400 to $100. That's an awesome accomplishment. But again, where does one store all this STUFF?
  • There are multiple sites devoted to extreme couponing and couponing in general. You can get check for coupons, print them, do whatever, all from your PC.

So... I think I might try out some couponing, but I'm not going to get extreme about it. I'll share my successes and failures in this new venture. In the meantime, give me your feedback.

BTW, for those of you worried about whether or not I was working this morning... I was.  I crammed this little bit of writing into the nooks and crannies of my free time between meetings and reading/answering email. HAHAHA  I'm getting my writing fix one measly minute at a time, but there it is.  

3 comments:

  1. http://consumerist.com/2011/07/extreme-couponers-offer-up-some-tips-on-scoring-mega-deals.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link, Brett. I'm a little concerned that this extreme couponing thing requires so much time. I already DON'T have that extra time. If I did, I'd have a novel finished by now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hubby coupons..we're not "extreme" yet because I won't allow it lol I don't need the clutter. The main point of extreme couponing is to find the overage..so you can buy the meat and veggies plus of course the extra cash left over in your budget. Couponing is also great for all the personal care items that we can now pretty much get for free..I'll never argue about having five bottles of shampoo and conditionor on hand..not w/ two kids in the house heading toward the teenage years. The most time consuming part of it I have to admit is the planning, grocery stores keep setting different limits on number of coups, when and how many they will double, and of course sorting what we actually need from just buying it because. Which is why my hubby likes doing it...the strategy of it all.

    ReplyDelete